The call for positions is now closed.
Open Call for up to 2 fully funded Postdoc positions (each for 2 years)
within the framework of the grant MAESTRO 2019/34/A/HS1/00399, financed by National Science Center (Narodowe Centrum Nauki), Poland
Host institution: University of Warsaw, Poland
Project title: Epistemic and semantic commitments of foundational theories
The main objective of the project is to provide a deep conceptual and formal analysis of the notion of commitments of a foundational theory, where the latter expression stands for a theory that can develop a significant portion of mathematics (examples: Peano arithmetic, Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory). The notion of a commitment is essentially involved in many discussions in contemporary formal philosophy.
Principal investigator: Prof. Cezary Cieśliński, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Warsaw, Poland.
Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to get acquainted with the project group style of research. See the website of the project at https://commitments-project.com/
We are looking for a candidate who satisfies the following conditions:
- Ph.D. in mathematical or philosophical logic obtained within the last 7 years (in 2015 at the earliest) either within philosophy, mathematics or computer science program. This period does not include breaks related to: maternity leave, adoption leave, paternal leave, nor periods of sickness benefit or physiotherapy benefit granted on account of being unfit to work, including any caused by a health condition requiring rehabilitation. Women may extend the 7-year period by 18 months for every child born or adopted. A woman may choose whichever manner of accounting for career breaks she finds preferable.
- Within two years preceding employment in the project, the candidate has not been employed on the basis of a contract of employment at the University of Warsaw.
- At the time of receiving the project salary, the candidate will not be receiving any other remuneration paid from the resources granted under NCN calls under the heading of direct costs.
- In the period of receiving the salary, the candidate will not be employed pursuant to another contract of employment.
- Qualifications and skills in logic. Preferably, good basic knowledge of one or more of the following areas: axiomatic theories of truth, model theory of arithmetic, model theory of set theory, proof theory, recursion theory.
- Some philosophical background will be an advantage.
- Very good speaking and writing command of English.
- Strong interest in logic.
- Strong motivation for scientific work.
- Very good problem-solving skills.
- Good social and organizational skills.
Tasks will include:
- Engagement in the realization of the grant project research tasks.
- Regular presentations of intermediate research results at workshops and conferences.
- Publication of results in journals and/or conference proceedings.
- Participation in the organization of research activities and events related to the research project, such as conferences, workshops and joint publications.
- Very interesting open research problems (of both philosophical and formal nature).
- Membership in an internationally active and vibrant research team.
- Budget for conference travel and research visits.
- Budget for electronic equipment (laptop).
- The candidate’s primary responsibility will be to conduct research on topics covered by the grant.
- The position starts no sooner than May 1 2022 and lasts for a maximum of two years.
- Total remuneration: around 99 000 PLN gross per year
- Cover letter including motivation for doing the research within the proposed research project.
- Current curriculum vitae, including a description of prior research experience, previous education, professional information (previous employment), language proficiency, grants/honours, a list of publications and conference presentations.
- Doctoral diploma or the supervisor’s statement on the expected obtaining of a doctoral diploma no later than by the end of September 2022. The diploma has to be obtained before the date of employment.
- At least two reference contacts (with e-mails).
- A writing sample, such as a research paper of up to 10,000 words maximum.
- Information on the processing of personal data (information and consent clause)
- Statement confirming that you have read and accepted the rules for conducting competitions for the position of an academic teacher
How to apply
- In order to apply, please send the message to: firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching the required documents in pdf format. All the documents should be in English.
A short list will be made based on the candidates’ applications. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview (possibly, in a remote form).
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Timetable and deadlines
- 17.03.2022 – deadline for submitting applications.
- Late March – interviews with the candidates.
- End of March – the candidates are informed about the results
- If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.